How do I get a friend who totaled my car to reimburseme for the difference of what my insurer paid and the cost ofa new car?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a friend who totaled my car to reimburseme for the difference of what my insurer paid and the cost ofa new car?

Allowed a friend to borrow car, who fell asleep at the wheel and totaled it. After my insurance company has covered everything and compensated me, I only get $4000. Not even enough to replace my car. Since I have had to buy a new car, that driver has cost me a lot of money, even after insurance, and I am looking to get some sort of compensation from her since she is the cause of the accident. How do I do it?

Asked on August 2, 2011 North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could sue your friend for negligence for causing the accident and seek to recover damages amounting to the difference between what you received from the insurance company and the cost of your new car.  You will need to mitigate (minimize) damages by not purchasing the most expensive car you can find, but something comparable in price to your wrecked car.  If you were to buy the most expensive car you could find, your damages would be reduced accordingly.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption