As a salary employee is there a limit to the amount of hours I can work before I am eligible for some sort of compensation?

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

As a salary employee is there a limit to the amount of hours I can work before I am eligible for some sort of compensation?

As a police lieutenant my position is considered a “salary” position. I am paid for 160 hours a month but my base schedule is 168 hours. Can they do this without providing some sort of compensation? So far this year I have worked 823 hours that I have not been compensated for.

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Here is the problem. In some levels of police service, by collective bargaining agreements or union contracts, you are entitled to overtime for special services or overtime hours worked. This is true for police detail like in traffic or construction. As in many situations, if you are above a certain pay grade or if you are considered an exempt employee, part of your agreement for getting straight salary is you may be working more than a 40 hour work week or what your base work week is. This is not new. You need to check with the Human Resources division that oversees municipal contracts and review your matter with them discreetly. Do not give your identity but explain your question in full. Then contact the department of labor in your state, who can tell you if a) it oversees your type of wage hour dispute and b) if it has precedent cases to show you you either cannot collect additional monies or if you are entitled to additional monies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption