compensation for pain and suffering if scammed out of home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

compensation for pain and suffering if scammed out of home

Brother conned mother to sign over deed to him when she was supposed sign it over
to me since I was primary resident. He then took out a second mortgage out on my
home ?then disappear leaving me to responsible for it or lose the house as the
case maybe I end up losing the home to foreclosure. I discovered he resurfaced
recently to reconcile with his wife. Is it possible to sue him for pain and
suffering, mental stress, and emotional trauma of losing my family due to losing
my home??

Asked on December 20, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Compensation for pain and suffering requires a documented injury with medical treatment. 
If you receive medical treatment for stress, you may have a claim, but it would be a weak case for negligent infliction of emotional distress.
A better course of action would be to sue your brother for fraud and seek punitive damages, which are a substantial amount to punish his intentional wrongful acts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption