What kind of compensation canI expect for severe injuries suffered in an auto accident?

UPDATED: Oct 5, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What kind of compensation canI expect for severe injuries suffered in an auto accident?

About 5 weeks ago I was the passenger in an auto accident. As a result, I broke 2 vertebrae in my neck, had a bad concussion, minor contusions, and have some nerve damage in my elbow. I will be out of work until November, and will be in a neck brace until about December. My medical bills are about $40,000 so far (not counting lifeflight). The guy who hit us admitted that it was his fault; he had run a red light. The car was not mine, it was the driver’s (my friend). They only suffered a few bruises but are now having some complications. Her car was totalled. Should I speak to a personal injury attorney? In Lycoming, PA.

Asked on October 5, 2010 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


Timothy D. Belt, Esquire / The Belt Law Firm

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would strongly suggest that you talk to a lawyer as soon as possible.  There may be issues in your case that you are not aware of.  For example, although the other driver admitted to you it was his fault, that might not be what he told the police, so a copy of the accident report should be obtained and reviewed.  If there is a discrepancy, an accident re constructionist may be necessary.  Furthermore, insurance coverage needs to be determined, and notice to the insurers needs to be provided.  It is also possible that a defect in the road or automobile may have contributed to the accident, and this possibility needs to be investigated.  The closer to the accident that these issues are examined, the more likely that relevant evidence will still exist and not have been lost or destroyed.

Joyce Sweinberg / Joyce J. Sweinberg

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your accident. It sounds as if you have substantial injuries. I agree that you should seek an attorney to represent you. There are many variables in a case which could affect the amount of your recovery, and there are also offset issues which could hurt you if you do not know how to handle them.  It is also too soon to settle a case as you do not yet know the extent of your injuries.  Feel free to contact me to discuss this further if I can help you in any way.  


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption