Am I entitled to workers’ compensation if I got hurt at work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Am I entitled to workers’ compensation if I got hurt at work?

I got burned with boiling oil at the place where I worked. I also only get paid

cash, so my boss said I couldn’t file for workers compensation. I had to use my medical card for my medical bills.

Asked on June 14, 2018 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If your employer violated the law and did not maintain worker's compensation, you would not get any: worker's compensation is a form of insurance, and the employer needs to pay into the system.
However, if there was no worker's compensation, you can sue your employer for your medical costs and injuries. You would have to prove they were at fault in some way, but that fault could come from having old, badly maintained, or unsafe equipment; from not providing safety gear; from not training you in how to do the job safely; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption