What documentation do I need to get and what does it have to say in order to get a compassionate reassignment?

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 16, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What documentation do I need to get and what does it have to say in order to get a compassionate reassignment?

My mom found out today that she has something torn in her knee (I forgot what it was). She can barely walk and has to take medication in order to tolerate the pain, but they are still making her go to work.

Asked on June 16, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your mother's employer does need to make "reasonable accomodations" to disabled employees, but there are a number of limitations on it:

1) The disability has to be one that permanent or at least difficult to treat or do anything about: if, for example, your mother could get arthoscopic surgery and have her knee repaired, she'd be expected to do that (but should be eligible for  an accommodation in the time leading up to the surgery).

2) A "reasonable accomodation" is one that is reasonable for the employer: not too expensive or disruptive. Gettina a cashier who has trouble standing an appropriate-height chair so she can sit instead of stand and allowing her to sit while working, for example, is a reasonable accomodation. On the other hand, a waitress, for example, has to walk to do her job; there's no way to accomodate a waitress who can't work. So the issue is: is there something not too expensive or disruptive that the employer can do for your mother *at her current job* (see below).

3) The employer does *not* need to reassign an employee or give her a different job. Employees are hired to do specific jobs; if they can't do those jobs, even with a reasonable accomodation, or there are no reasonable accomodations possible, the employer may fire the employee--it does not have to retain people who can't do their jobs.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption