Community property rights of a residence given in an inheritance in the state of Kansas.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Community property rights of a residence given in an inheritance in the state of Kansas.

My father doesn’t have much time left and is trying to get all of his assets in order. My brother and I are stand to inherit his home and my question is concerning my husband. We were married 4 yrs. ago and live on his farm, which he bought before our marriage. What rights does he have to my parents’ home since it will be acquired after our marriage? Is it considered community property , even though his farm isn’t? (His kids’ names are on the farm, not me).

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


Sean C Santoro / Santoro Traffic Law Office

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I would need additional information to answer this question. Does your father have a will? Has your husband put any money or work into your parent's home? Has your father promised anything to your husband based on things or money expended on his behalf? Feel free to email me at or call me at 913 441 5025. If your father needs a will, or wants me to draw up a nonprobate transfer deed so that the property may avoid probate entirely, let me know.

Sean Santoro
Attorney at Law 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption