Colorado Name Change

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

It isn’t difficult to change your name in Colorado, and you can do it on your own. It mostly involves filling out the right forms and filing them with the local district or county court clerk. A fee will also be required. We can help you get started with the following information:

What forms are required for a Colorado name change?

The following forms are required to change your name in Colorado:

  • Order for Publication for Change of Name(JDF 426)
  • Public Notice(JDF 427)
  • Petition for Change of Name(JDF 433)
  • Final Decree for Change of Name (JDF 448)

These forms can be found on the Colorado State Courts website.

Where do I file the forms for a name change in Colorado?

The completed forms must be filed with the district or county court clerk of the county where you currently live.

Do I need to notarize the forms?

Yes. However, the clerk of the court can notarize the Petition for Change of Namefor free when you bring it to court.

Is there a filing fee in Colorado for a name change?

Yes. The fee is $49. A fee waiver may be obtained using the Fee Waiver form with a showing of sufficient hardship.

Do I need to schedule a court hearing?

Yes. The court clerk will tell you the date of your court hearing.

Do I need to publish something in a local newspaper?

Yes. You must publish a copy of the Order for Publication and the Public Notice in a local newspaper at least 3 times within 21 days from the date of the publication order given by the court.

Are there any additional requirements?

You must submit a criminal history check from the CBI and the FBI when you file for a change of name. The check must be done within 90-days before you submit your name change paperwork.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption