What to do if someone will not re-issue a lost check on a reasonable amount of time?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if someone will not re-issue a lost check on a reasonable amount of time?

I paid my college for this quarter ahead of time and in full on the assumption that I would be taking a certain number of credits this quarter. Once my schedule was finalized, it turned out I was taking fewer credits than I’d paid for and I filed for a refund, which was apparently processed almost a month ago, though the check has yet to arrive. When I asked them about voiding it and re-issuing a new one because it is obviously lost in the mail, I was told that they “can’t do that but if the check isn’t cashed in 160 days they will re-issue a new one.” This seems ludicrous. Is it legal?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under General Practice, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Different companies and institutions have different customs and practices with respect to the timing of issuing a replacement check when requested when it appears that one has been lost. Your question does not pertain to a legal issue but rather a business practice with respect to your school where there is a 160 day wait until a new check is issued for a lost check.

I would offer to pay for the fee to get a new check issued and the old one cancelled with the bank so that you can get your refund sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption