Is there anything that I can do to stop a former ex and his family fromusing me as a reference?

UPDATED: Mar 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is there anything that I can do to stop a former ex and his family fromusing me as a reference?

I constantly get collection calls not for me, but for and ex and his family who are using me as a reference without my authorization. I often tell these agencies to remove me as I have no information to give them; I have not spoken to my ex and his family for the past 7 years. I recently got calls for both my ex’s mother and brother regarding some fraudulent activity and are being sued. They apparently used me as a reference last year; again no contact in 7 years.

Asked on March 18, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Possibly you could bring a lawsuit seeking an order (injunctive relief) that they not use you as a reference; if interested in possibly doing this, you should speak with a local attorney who can evaulate all the circumstances in detail. However, that would be the only way to stop them from doing this, and even if possible, it's unclear whether it's worth the several hundred dollars it would likely cost.

If they ever cost you money by using your name, e.g. by fraudulently claiming you as a cosignor to a loan or party to an agreement, you could clearly sue them; however, as a general matter, if you are not suffering an actual loss, only annoyance, it's difficult to take legal action--the courts aren't set up to regulate that sort  of activity. That's why I say it's only possible that you could get injunctive relief; what you are experiencing might not rise to the level that justifies or supports court action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption