How to collect money per a divorce decree?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How to collect money per a divorce decree?

My father’s divorce degree states that he is to be paid his equity from the

family home upon death, re-marriage or sell of the home. My mother recently

passed away and her boyfriend is still living in the house and is executor of her

will from my understanding. What actions should my father do to receive his

equity from the house?


Asked on September 11, 2018 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  He needs to go to court and start an action based upon the divorce agreement (which is a contract) and he needs to evict the squatter from the home.  Though this is not as easy as it sounds here.  I am assuming when you say "upon death" you mean your Mother's death, which has happened.  What did her Will do with the house (which I am also assuming she got in the divorce)?   Is his name still on the deed or was there a quit claim?  Did she refinance him off the mortgage if there was one? Help him out by bringing him to an attorney who has to review all the documents here.  You can review her Will in the court filing too.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption