What will happen if we get a co-signer on our house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if we get a co-signer on our house?

My fiance and I are first time homebuyers but he has no credit. His mom

wants to co-sign the house but she has already co-signed for another family

member and she owns her own house. Will our taxes on the house go up?

Asked on September 16, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, taxes are not dependent on how many people pay for or buy the house, or whether any of those people own or have cosigned for other properties. Property tax is based on the house's value, not the people buying it. If she signs the contract of sale and ends up on the deed or title, bear in mind that she will be an owner of the house alongside you and your fiance: she will be a 1/3 owner of your home. She will have the right to enter or stay in it at will (you can't keep an owner out of her property); when it is sold, she will get 1/3 the proceeds or proft; etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption