Co-sign for my child not living with me on a car can I be sued if she gets into an accident

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Co-sign for my child not living with me on a car can I be sued if she gets into an accident

If I co-sign for a car for my daughter who does not live with me, she has her own seperate insurance, can I be sued if she were to get into an accident or anything else that might cause legal action by another party.

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Accident Law, New Mexico


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you are on the loan with your daughter than a possible legal action will probably list both you and her as co-defendants. Although she may be at fault a person seeking legal action will simply put both names on a summons and complaint based on ownership of the vehicle.

I would advise speaking to a local attorney about this. They handle this type of situation and will know exactly how NM courts handle matters such as these. You may not have to worry because of how the courts handle this type of case against a person in your position but I advise seeking some advice fro a local attorney specialized in this area before making any decisions

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption