What to do regarding a dispute over co-owned property?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do regarding a dispute over co-owned property?

I own a classic car with another person. That person has denied me access to the car and has locked it in their garage and restricted me access. His only solution to fixing our dispute he only wants me to drive it 1000 miles every year and I want to use it more is to buy me out below market value. I have suggested we put the car on the market and obtain a fair price for it however, he will not agree to that. I think that I’m going to have to file a lawsuit

Asked on January 7, 2019 under Business Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You are correct; if you and he cannot work this out voluntarily, your only recourse would be a lawsuit seeking a court order requiring that the car be sold for fair market value and the proceeds split.
2) You will not get legal fees: in the U.S., under what is called the "American Rule", each party has to pay its own legal fees, even if the other side is being unreasonable, unless there is an agreement or contract that in the event of a dispute, the loser pays the winner's legal fees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption