Client has not paid me my contractual fee within the time specified

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Client has not paid me my contractual fee within the time specified

I am a translator and work for an online
translation agency. When I began working for
this company, we signed an agreement
detailing our working relationship etc and it is
stipulated that payment will be made within 60
days of issuing the invoice for a completed job.
Payment is to be made by PayPal.

The company is getting slower and slower to
pay, their finance department often fails to
respond to my emails, there is no clear answer
as to why payment is late and when it will be
made… yet they want to keep sending me
more work

I am concerned they are not honorable and will
stop sending payments… please could you tell
me what are my options?

Thank you so much

Asked on February 6, 2017 under Business Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Your recourse when the other side violates their contractual obligations is to sue them for breach of contract: the contract is enforceable in court. If the breach by the other side is clear (i.e. clearly violates the plain terms of the contract), you can expect to win the case. If you do, the court can order them to make any/all payments due under the contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption