child support turning 18 and graduating from high school

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

child support turning 18 and graduating from high school

I’m paying child support for 2 kids, ages 15 and 18. My daughter turned 18 in January and is now graduating high school in June. Will my child support payments be reduced by half? My ex-wife is telling me that is not true. I have always supported my children. I pay their health insurance premiums and half for everything that they need, but am confused about the child support. I look forward to your response. Thank you.

Asked on May 23, 2017 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Graduation from high school may or may not end a parent's obligation to pay child support. It depends on 2 factors, namely the law of the state that the child resides and any contractual obligations agreed to in writing (typically enrtered into during divorce proceedings). As a general rule, by the time a child graduates from high school in the eyes of the law they become an adult; this terminates the duty to pay child support. That having been said, in CT, 18 is defined as the "age of majority". Accordingly, child support ends unless otherwise provided under the terms of a written agreement between the parents to continue payments for a longer period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption