Child Support Payments

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Child Support Payments

Can I get my child support reduced? I have been divorced for 7 years and make less due to the recent economy. My ex wife lost her job and has been out of work for the last year. She has made little effort to find employment. She remarried 3 yrs ago and lives in a 4 bedroom house in a nice town. She is frequently on vacation and goes away every other weekend. I’m trying to make ends meet and live in a 2 bedroom apartment a few towns away.  I cannot afford an attorney and want to know if I have any legal ground to stand on in reducing child support payments?

Asked on June 14, 2009 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The amount that the non-custodial parent pays in child supportis ultimately at the discretion of the Court.  That said, there is a formula that is used to calculate the basic support and it takes into account your income and your ex-wife's income.  In your case it would appear that your children's support is being supplemented by your ex-wife's new husband but his income is not included in Connecticut's calculations. It does not relieve you of the obligation to support your children although I can see how it would be frustrating given your financial circumstances.  You should consult an attorney about attempting to get the amount reduced.  A local lawyer will know how all the factors will play in the calculations.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption