What to do about child support and a new marriage?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about child support and a new marriage?

My fiancee has a child with another woman (they were never married). We are looking to buy a home. I was wondering if she can try and claim anything that we purchase jointly. For that matter can she attack any of our joint accounts such as checking or savings?

Asked on August 21, 2012 under Family Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Child support under the laws of all state if ordered is based upon the net monthly disposable income of each parent per county guidelines of where the child resides. Potentially your income can be included as being a factor for child support by the court albeit the court typically looks at the net disposable income of each parent in setting forth a monthly child support order.

If there is a judgment for child support not paid, your marital assets would be subject to a levy in the situation you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption