Does child support end when I get re-married?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Does child support end when I get re-married?

I am the custodial parent receiving child support from my ex-husband. I am planning on re-marrying.

Asked on August 2, 2011 North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As a general matter, child support does *not* end on remarriage--the obligation to support children is imposed by law and is not changed by the marital status of either of the children's parents, and also the new spouse is not under any obligation to support previous children of ther person he is marrying. Alimony and spousal support will typically be ended by remarriage, but child support is different. That said, given how important this is, you should consult with a family or divorce lawyer, who can evaluate your divoce settlement or decree and your specific situation in detail, to let you know exactly how remarriage will affect child support and any other economic support which you receive. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption