Can child support be extended?

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can child support be extended?

I complete my court orders of child support and medical coverage at the end of the month. The child turns 18 and I just found out the mother wants to seek more money until my daughter graduates. I do not have a relationship but just this year her mother got in touch with me and we have spoken. I also received a letter to appear in court to review orders. I think its best to let her go on with her life. We don’t live in the same city and I am married with a child, plus my wife and I take care of 2 nieces. Is it possible to terminate my rights since I have fulfilled my court obligation?

Asked on February 19, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Child support does not automatically terminate when the child reaches 18. Sometimes a judge will extend for a year or two in order for the child to graduate high school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption