child may not be mine can I still get custody?

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

child may not be mine can I still get custody?

We got married in 2007 he was born in 2008I have had him for about a year now since we been separated and I recently filed divorce and that’s when she began saying thisI also have an 11 month old with her that I have both live with meShe has four other children that she gave away custody when we split I just want to know if I can get custody even if I know he may not be mine I want to be his father I signed birth certificate and he has my last name

Asked on March 16, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You sound like a really great guy.  Your ex may just be trying to get back at you but if she does take this ball and run with it you are going to need to seek help from an attorney to be prepared.  First, I hope that you have formal custody - and by that I mean custody as awarded by the courts.  If the baby is not your biological child - obviously he is your son - then you are going to have to go about terminating parental rights and adopting him.  Here is the catch 22: you can only adopt him WITH the biological mother.  And you are divorcing her.  So, then you are going to have to plan your next steps.  Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption