Checking Past DUI Conviction?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Checking Past DUI Conviction?

Hi, I was convicted of a DUI/DWI 6 years ago in North
Carolina. I can’t seem to find specific information regarding
the conviction. It was my first and only offense, and I want
to make sure it is a misdemeanor and not a felony.

I’ve reached out to my attorney I used, but have not heard
back as I’m sure I am not a priority at all at this point.

Thanks, KB

Asked on January 11, 2018 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can go to the court where your case was filed and if you know the case number, ask the court clerk to let you see the file.  You can't remove the file from the court, but can ask the court clerk to photocopy the file or the sections of the file you want.
If you don't know the case number, look in the court's computer for your name under defendants to obtain the case number.  After obtaining the case number, ask the court clerk to let you see the file as discussed above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption