Charging Sales Tax on my labor.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Charging Sales Tax on my labor.

I have a hvac business in illinois. When performing a service call or a system checkup, can i charge tax to my bill. if so, what should it be?

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Business Law, Illinois


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm not an Illinois attorney, but my research indicates that you do have a sales or use tax obligation -- you have to pay it, as well as adding it to your bills to customers.  My research also suggests that your state's system is one of the most complicated in the nation, and one of the reasons is that there may be local taxes that have to be added on, depending on where you are working.  You need to contact the Illinois Department of Revenue for details.

If you have been in business for a while and have not been collecting or paying these taxes, you may well have a serious problem, and if that's the case I would recommend talking to a lawyer in your area, as soon as possible, before doing anything else about this.  One place to look for qualified attorneys is our website,

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption