Charged with leaving the scene of an accident even after providing cell phone number, name, address and vehicle tag.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Charged with leaving the scene of an accident even after providing cell phone number, name, address and vehicle tag.

I bumped a parked motorcycle at a neighbors house and it fell over. I got the owner. I verbally gave my name, number, vehicle tag and address. We had a prior commitment and had to leave. Everything was ok when we left. The owners father came to the scene 30 min later and called the police. The officer got on the phone and said that I must return to the scene or I will be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. I explained to the officer that we had I had given my information to the owner and all should be o.k. I explained to the officer that I was to far away and unable to return.

Asked on June 11, 2009 under Accident Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Ok, you hit a motorcycle and left all your information with the owner and then left for a prior engagement without an accident report being completed.  Was there an accident report filled out?  If so, you need to get a copy and make sure that it does not say you left the scene.  If there is a report on file you need to file one as well asap.  You also have to make sure that you contact your insurance asap.  They will disclaim coverage if there is a claim for lack of notice.  You said "we" had a prior commitment so I assume that you have witness.  That is helpful. Keep in contcat with your insurance company and cooperate.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption