Charged with DUI in Ca

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Charged with DUI in Ca

I was arrested for a DUI recently and the results of the breathilizer test
was .05 and when they tested my blood the BAC was .07, within the legal
limit. Also, on the night I was tested I hit a fire hydrant and they tested
THC in my bloodalthough I was not smoking marijuana while I was driving. My
trial is scheduled in the near future, could you give me an idea how this
will likely turn out? Also, would it make any difference if I hired a lawyer
instead of relying on the public defender? Any advice would be appreciated.

Asked on June 30, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a copy of your offense report and take it to another attorney for a second opinion. 
Based on what you have described, you shouldn't be found guilty of DUI unless there are other facts to support some decree of impairment.  Another factor would be if you did test positive for THC in your blood with the alcohol.  It sounds like the communication with your current attorney has been limited.  You need more information about an appropriate trial strategy.  Consulting with another attorney to get a second or third opinion will give you a better idea of what to expect and how to plan your defense.
At trial, you or your attorney will need to be prepared to challenge the results of any tests and the validity of the investigation.  If you do not properly argue the law and facts, you could end up with a conviction on your record.  If your trial is handled properly, you have a better chance of obtaining a not guilty verdict.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption