What are my rights if I was charged for someone else’s stuff in my car?

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 8, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if I was charged for someone else’s stuff in my car?

I gave someone I just met a ride. I then got pulled over and he had warrants and drugs on him but hid them under my seat. When they searched the car, they found them and because he said they weren’t his, I was charged with all of it even though it was under the passenger’s seat.

Asked on February 8, 2019 under Criminal Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are not liable for his drugs or other criminal behavior unless you participated in them with him or knowingly helped him hide the drugs, etc. So legally, if not yours, you are not responsible for this and should not face liability. People are only responsible for their criminal behavior.
Practically, the issue is showing that the drugs were not yours and also that you did not know that he drugs on him but nonetheless helped him transport them or conceal them. The police only know what the facts and evidence show or what people tell them. The drugs were under you seat; that makes it appear they were your or that at least you knew they were in the car and were helping transport them. If your associate tells the police that these were your drugs, or tries to get leniency for himself by saying you were buying, selling, transporting, etc. them, it may be hard for you to prove otherwise. You are strongly advised to retain a criminal defense attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption