Changing terms of a business trip.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Changing terms of a business trip.

I’m escorting a foreign VIP somewhat voluntarily from our sister company in China to CA next week. We are visiting a supplier and the VIP wants to stop at an amusement park while we are there. My employer offered to pay for everything up front, minus the plane ticket which I would be reimbursed for and food which I was responsible for. Park tickets and transportation in CA were to be cover by the business. However, after booking the flight, my employer changed the terms and informed me that I would be reimbursed after I return and only 50% of the expenses are covered. If that were the case from the beginning I would have declined, as I cannot afford it. Since the terms were changed after booking the flight, is there anything I can do? I can’t afford to go but I also can’t afford to not be reimbursed for the flight.

Asked on August 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

First, bear in mind that if you "declined" they could have terminated you: employers can require employees to go on trips and even to personally foot or bear expenses, on pain or threat of termination. The employee's recourse, if he or she does not want to do this, is to quit or resign. So your ability to seek redress for a change is limited.
The above said, that as to any expenses actually *incurred nonrefundably* before they changed their mind, they are obligated to pay/reimburse you for: they agreed to pay these things before you agreed to incur the costs. If not reimbursed for anything incurred and nonrefundable, you could sue them for the money, for "breach of contract" (violating the agreement under which you incurred those expenses)--though as you can imagine, suing your employer can have drastic career consequences.
Anything not yet incurred or which is refundable, you have a choice: either don't incur (or cancel and seek a refund), and accept any career impact (e.g. being terminated for not doing these things), or else spend the money and accept you will be spending it out of pocket, from your own funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption