Changing hours during mid-semester

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Changing hours during mid-semester

I am in grad school. I have a new boss who wants me to completely change
my schedule, which means I would not be able to complete the hours
required for the semester. Is he allowed to mandate me to change my hours
when it means I would have to drop out of the school semester? If yes, I will
be resigning my job- despite the fact that I love what I do, it is not more
important than my school right now- and I only have about 6 months left

Asked on October 12, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

unless your schedule is guaranteed in an employment contract or union agreemnt, you have no claim here. he fac tis that mosy employment is "at will. This means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). This includes what times a worker must report. Unfortunately, your only options at this point are to try and get your boss to change your schedule or quit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption