Changing B-2 Visa status to F-1

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Changing B-2 Visa status to F-1

I’m a 22 years old Israeli citizen, currently visiting with my family in the U.S. I have entered the U.S. on the 4th of april, which means that I have to leave the U.S. until October the 3rd. During my visit I decided that I want to apply to one of Phoenix’s community colleges. I understood that the procedure is through an I-539 form, which is an Application New Link Destination
Extend/Change Non-immigrant Status form. I know that when filled to extend the stay period in the U.S., an individual is allowed to stay in the U.S. until he gets a final answer to his request, whether positive or negative. Does this apply, as well when the application is filled as a change of status request, meaning that I could stay inside the U.S. until a final answer is received?

Asked on August 22, 2017 under Immigration Law, Arizona


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In order to change your status to F-1 student visa, you first must be accepted into a school/program and then the school must provide you with the necessary documentation in order to apply for the change of status from B-2 to F-1.  Yes, you will be able to remain in the US while the petition is pending.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption