Changes to a trust

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Changes to a trust

My wife and I would like to change the time period in an end-of-life medical directive allowable time spent in a coma. Can we make the changes ourselves and have them witnessed by a notary vs. going back to our lawyer?

Asked on February 6, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.H., Member, California Bar / M.H., Member, California Bar

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Obviously the most cost effective way is to amend your advance health care directive on your own.  If you choose this route, the following simple language will suffice:  
On February 20, 2012, I, John Smith, executed the John Smith Advance Health Care Directive.  
I hereby amend the Advance Health Care Directive as follows:
Article Three is amended to read in its entirety as follows [set forth amended comatose paragraph in its entirety]:
In all other respects, the Advance Health Care Directive remains unchanged.
John Smith
[Notary Public Acknowledgment]

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption