Change status from B2 to F1

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Change status from B2 to F1

I would like to know the process of how to change
my status of tourist B2 to student in the United
States, without going back to my country and go
through the consular process.

Asked on March 26, 2018 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

it may be approved within the us but it may not be.  it really depends on the particular of your case.  you c an submit the change of status application from b-2 to f-1 but if the uscis is not able to approve it as a change of status but approve it nevertheless for consular processing, you would need to go abroad and apply for a student visa before being able to return to the us in f-1 status and start your studies.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption