Change of status from B2 to F2 inside USA

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Change of status from B2 to F2 inside USA

I am currently studying on F1 visa and will take 1 more year to graduate. My wife has been studying in Canada on student visa. She got B2 visa before I got mine F1. So, after I came to USA she visited me 2 times before and left in 1 or 2 months. This time she came to visit me but got pregnant surprisingly which changed our plan. Now she does not want to continue study in Canada right now and therefore don’t want to go back to Canada. So, can she apply to change her status from inside the U.S. from B2 to F2? Is there any risk of rejection?

Asked on November 3, 2016 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, she can absolutely apply for a change of status from B-2 to F-2 within the US.  There should not be any risk of rejection provided you submit all the proper supporting documentation.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions or need assistance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption