What are my rights regarding a change in the closing date?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights regarding a change in the closing date?

I was scheduled to close today at 10 am but received a call from my settlement office at 9:45 am advising that my settlement would need to be changed to 3 days from now. My purchase agreement requires the Seller to give me at least 2 days notice to change the settlement date. Does this constitute a breach of contract and can I walk away from the purchase?

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you write, it appears to be a material, or significant, breach of the contract of sale, since the closinig date is almost always considered a material term, and therefore could entitle you to terminate the contract without penalty, so long as you have not already consented to the adjustment. However, the specific language of the agreement and all the specific facts are critical to determining your rights, so you are advised to consult with a real estate attorney in detail before doing anything.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption