If I am currently building a website, can Iuse an on-line picture of a celebrity character?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am currently building a website, can Iuse an on-line picture of a celebrity character?

If I find a celebrity picture that I want to use, can I get sued if I use this pictures?

Asked on January 11, 2012 under Business Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you are building a website and use without the express written consent and permisison of the living celebrity his or her depiction in your venture, you very well can be sued over the act. The reason is that under the laws of all states in this country, a person who is alive has the right to his or her own use of their likeness and can sue to protect it. You also have to be concerned about possible copyright issues as well.

As to celebrities who are no longer alive, you need to be aware of possible copyright issues as well as to the photographs that you may want to use concerning your website.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption