Card fraud

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Card fraud

I work at a gas station and someone
came in and bought many cartons of
cigarettes with a stolen card am I
liable to pay for these cartons?

Asked on January 22, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In MI, the only automatic paycheck deductions are those required by law (i.e. taxes, court ordered payments such as alimony, child support, etc.) and union dues. All other deductions require an employer to get the employee's signed authorization before the deduction is made. As for being liable to pay, while your paycheck cannot have such deductions unilaterally made, you can be required to pay if your employer requires it. The fact is that most employment relationships are "at will" which means that a company can set the conditions of employment much as it sees fit. That is unless doing so constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates the terms of an employment contract/union agreement. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption