What to do if the seller of a car that we bought is giving us the runaround regarding title?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if the seller of a car that we bought is giving us the runaround regarding title?

My wife and I bought a car. The seller said that the car was given to him by a man out of state for a job he did. I assumed that the car was in this seller’s name. He drove it to our mechanic so he could check it out. They had some repairs due to the cars age. My wife purchased the vehicle and have the repairs done so she left the car at the shop. When she picked up the car she then found that the title is still in the original owner’s name (from another state). We were told that the man who sold us the car has to get it switched to his name in our state and then he can sign it over to us. However, now he is not answering our calls.

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Business Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Implicit in your and your wife's purchase of the vehicle that you are writing about is that it came with good registered title from the current owner so that title can be delivered to you. From what you have written, since the seller cannot give you good title to the vehicle that you bought, you would have the legal right to rescind its purchase (cancel the agreement), return the car and get your money back.

From what you have written, I would demand the return of your money in exchange for the return of the car to the seller.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption