Car Payment Deferred

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car Payment Deferred

I bought a car in March 2007.I was late in payment in Dec. 08.The finance company offered to deferr a payment and put it at the end of the loan.Can I still file for Chapter 7 after my 910 days and pay the fair market value or do I have to make up the deferred payment first.

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Tennessee


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Just file the BK and list the car debt.  however, you may lose the car if it is not paid off when you file BK.  I would try to pay the car off before filing BK.  If you cannot, then just file the claim and see what happens.  I do not have enough information to determine whether you will qualify for BK as i do not know your financial condition, income, assets or otherwise.  I suggest contacting a lawyer to advise you after you provide more information.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption