What to do about liability for a car loan that was given to my ex-wife in our divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about liability for a car loan that was given to my ex-wife in our divorce?

My wife and I bought a car in both our names. Since then, we have gotten divorced; she received the car in the settlement. However, since the divorce it was repoed and she filed banckrupcy on everything. As a result I was sued for the remaining balance owed on the car. What is my options for not of having to pay for a car that isn’t mine?

Asked on March 9, 2018 under Family Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you were on the loan, you don't have any options to not pay: the loan or finaning agreement is a contract, so you contractually agreed to pay. It is a contract between you and whomever provided the financing (e.g. the bank or car manufacturer, etc.), and that agreement is NOT affected by your divorce, the terms of your divorce settlment, or the fact that you did not use the car or it went to your wife. Rather, the lender can hold you to the terms of the agremeent to repay.
You may be able to sue your now ex-wife for any amounts you pay (e.g. the remaining balance), since her actions caused your loss. But whether or not you can seek compensation from you, you still have to pay the remaining balance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption