What are my options if my car insurer is acceptingmy premium without insuring the vehicle?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my options if my car insurer is acceptingmy premium without insuring the vehicle?

My car insurance company has been accepting my premiums, even after being notified by the DMV that the car that I drive could not be insured by me due to me not being an owner. My insurance company never notified me. I was recently pulled over, towed, and forces to drive a rental.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Insurance Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you write the insurance carrier demanding the return of the premiums paid for insurance on the car that it will not insure. Give a set date for its return. Keep a copy for future use and need. If you do not receive it by the demanded date, your options are to consult with an attorney that practices insurance law and/or make a complaint against the insurance carrier with your state's department of insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption