car getting repossesed.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

car getting repossesed.

My former wife and I bought a car. In our divorce papers it says that I was to make the payments for one year and then she is to take over the payments. She is not doing so and has told me she is going to let the car get repossesed. I no longer want the car and can’t afford the payments myself. Is there anything that I can do? I don’t want this going against my credit.

Asked on June 12, 2009 under Family Law, Missouri


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If her making the payments was something that the divorce specifically called for her to do than you can make a motion with the court to compel her to follow through with what was specified in the divorce papers.

you might want to contact the attorney who handled the case. They know the specifics and can make the appropriate motion to ensure things are handled as well as can be and that your credit isn't injured by your ex wife's blatant disregard for a court order

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption