Car damaged in work parking lot by sign

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car damaged in work parking lot by sign

When I was at work, the wind blew an
unsecured sign in to my car. I was
parked under a camera and they have
video proof that’s how the damage was
done. Is my employer responsible to
either fix it or compensate me for the

Asked on July 23, 2016 under Accident Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your employer is most likely not liable (or responsible) for the damage, and so would not be obligated to fix it or pay for it. You write that the wind blew the sign into your car; the employer is not responsible for the wind, as that is outside its control. You do write that the sign was unsecured; IF given the nature, size, weight, etc. of this sign it was unreasoanbly careless to not secure it, that failure could possibly make the employer liable, but the mere fact that the sign was unsecured does not, by itself, mean that it was careless to not secure it--many businesses, parking lots, etc. have unsecured signs, and it is considered reasonable to have such. You would have to sue your employer (incurring the cost of a lawsuit, and the job consequences of suing your employer), then prove in court that something about this sign made it unreasonable to not secure it, in order to prevail.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption