Car broken into and parted out while broke down on someones private property. Are homeowners responsible to pay for damages.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car broken into and parted out while broke down on someones private property. Are homeowners responsible to pay for damages.

I left my broke down vehicle at
my sons friends house. They
said it would be ok. I returned
couple weeks later and my
radiator, stereo, other parts
and personal belongings were
gone. Homeowner says has no
idea what happened. Other
people say they were in and out
of vehicle all the time. I dont
know what to do.

Asked on October 28, 2016 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The homeowners are not your insurer: they are not responsible for your loss unless they caused it (i.e. unless they were the thieves) and are not responsible for the criminal acts of other people, only their own. If you believe not only that they participated in the theft but that you have evidence of it (since you need to be able to prove it to recover compensation), you could sue them. Otherwise, they are not responsible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption