Car Accident – State Trooper found me at fault and wont change police report?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car Accident – State Trooper found me at fault and wont change police report?

About 6 months ago, I was in a car accident
where the officer deemed me at fault Ill
describe the story here.

Two are two vehicles, car a and car bmyself.
Both vehicles were traveling on a two lane road
where car A was in front of B, and then the
road widens to accommodate multiple vehicles
beside each other. Also it becomes a multi-lane
road even though the road markings were at
first easily seen but then fade away quite a
bit. Car A moves to the right while Car B moves
to the left, and car A then collides with B
because they were wanting to make a left turn.
Police was called and car B was faulted because
he couldnt see the markings and said it was a
single lane so car B shouldve never been
beside car A. Car B didnt have an insurance
hit since it was a government vehicle, and also
assumed it wouldnt show on their license due
to this. Eventually it did.

I had pictures of the road markings taken the
day after the incident and showed them to the
officer, however after a long time since the
report was created. He denied my evidence and
stated even if the lines are there, if they are
not clearly seen, its still my fault even
though I obeyed them. What can I do now?

Asked on December 4, 2018 under Accident Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can't make him change his report: it represents his opinion of fault in the accident and he is entitled to his opinion and cannot be compelled to alter it. It is also not an official adjudication or determination; if you are sued over this, the police officer's report and opinion is evidence, nothing more, and does not guaranty that the court will find you at fault. You can, in an adjuducation or legal proceeding, present your own evidence and testimony to the contrary and attempt to convince the court, etc. that you were not at fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption