Car Accident.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Car Accident.

My job forced me to use personal car for work related tasks. My car was totaled on work time while performing those taks. Should I expect compensation of any kind from my job?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Accident Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Should you expect it? I don't know.  In terms of your job, is taking your personal vehicle for work tasks a normal part of your job? If so, did you do those tasks during your work hours? What do you mean forced you? You can refuse and cannot be fired for such a reason. 

Was the accident your fault or the other person's fault? Do you have car insurance?

What does your handbook work manual state about such matters? Does it address it?

If not, I would recommend meeting with an accident attorney and contacting your state's Dept of Labor to determine if this is something you should demand from your employer.  Try to look for an accident attorney and the Dept of Labor is:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption