If my credit card issuer is taking me to court for non-payment, what do I do next?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my credit card issuer is taking me to court for non-payment, what do I do next?

Do I contact the company?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you owe the money on your credit card that is claimed unpaid and can make monthly payment, the best course of action to save time and money is to try and work out a written agreement with your credit card company.

If the credit card company does not want to work out an agreement with you for monthly payments, then you either answer the complaint and defend yourself as to the claims for money owed, or do nothing and end up most likely with a default judgment against you and having to deal with collection efforts by the judgment creditor.

It is always best to try and work out an agreeable resolution to the claims where you can make monthly payments to pay down the debt on terms agreed by all.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption