Can your employer modify your existing health policy or drop the disability insurance policy without notifying you?

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your employer modify your existing health policy or drop the disability insurance policy without notifying you?

Asked on July 28, 2011 Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Most states have laws mandating that if your employer intends to modify the existing health policy for the employees or intends to eliminate the disability insurance policy of the employees, written notice is required and that the employees be given adequate notice about the change to protect their interests and their families.

It is best that the employer has each employee sign the notice about the change and have it dated with the employee receiving a signed copy of what he or she signed to prevent future claims of misunderstanding. Failure of the employer to give written notice of the inquired changes could very well subject the employer to significant exposure for liability and damages.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption