Can your company suspend you for something that happened at another facility while working for a different company?

UPDATED: Nov 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your company suspend you for something that happened at another facility while working for a different company?

I’m an employee of a food vendor at a convention center. I also work with a company that temp staffs at a stadium that is also this vendor’s account. I poured 2 drinks that had too much alcohol and was sent home. Now I’m being suspended for these actions that happened at a different facility while working for a different company. Are they legally able to do this?

Asked on November 8, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The only important question is whether you have an employment contract of some kind (including a union agreement), which limits the reasons you could be suspended or disciplined, or sets out a process which must be followed to discipline you. If so, those terms may be enforced, and the company can only take action in accordance with the contract.

Without an employment agreement, however, you would be an employee at will and could be terminated--or suspended--at any time, for any reason. Therefore, your employer could do this, especially since your actions could affect your employer (you say the stadium is also an account of this employer, which means that doing something wrong at the stadium, even for a different employer, could reflect badly on the food vendor as your employer, too).

Basically, without an employment contract, an employer could choose to suspend (or demote, terminate, etc.) you any time they wanted to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption