Can your car be towed if there is not enough handicapped spaces?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your car be towed if there is not enough handicapped spaces?

I live at an apartment where there is not enough handicap spaces. The apartment complex has parking permits for there renters. I do not have one. Sometimes all the handicap spaces are taken so I park in a regular parking spot next to the handicap. I can’t park in a visitor spot because it’s to far. I found my car was towed for no parking sticker even though it has a handicap placard. Is this legal or can I get my money back?

Asked on February 14, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is legal: regardless of how many handicapped parking spaces they have, if the regular spots are reserved for those with parking stickers, anyone--handcapped placard or not--who parks there without a sticker may be towed. The landlord has the legal right to reserve the parking spaces for those who have stickers.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption