Can you work without filling out any paperwork?

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 4, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you work without filling out any paperwork?

I got a job through my friend, had no contact
with any management. I go in my first day at a
restaurant in a hotel as a ‘busser’. Worked 9
hours straight without a break, no training or
orientation and didnt fill out any paperwork.
I’m not in their system at all and not sure if
I’ll even get paid how long do I wait?

Asked on November 4, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you are not paid in no more than 2 weeks (in AZ, paydays must be no more than 16 days apart, so they can be every other week [biweekly] or twice a month [semimonthly]) then you are not being paid on time or at all. At that point, you could sue them for the money you earned. Even without paperwork--though they legally should have done paperwork relating to your hiring--they must pay you for all work you did.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption