Can you sue for damages when a company damns up a creek and your house floods.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you sue for damages when a company damns up a creek and your house floods.

The county contracted for a
bridge to be built a short
distance from my home, they
damned up the creek behind our
home and our home was flooded.
Now we are having to stay with
friends and family or hotels.
Which now our homeowners
insurance won’t cover the
damage. What can I do?

Asked on August 24, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can potentially sue if the flooding was due to their negligence, or carelessness--not properly planning or executing, so as to avoid damage to nearby property--or worse, was their intentional act--that is, they knew other property would be flooded, but didn't care. When someone damages your property either negligently or intentionally, they become liable for the cost of the damage. Note, however, that you will require one or more expert witnesses to prove your case--to prove that the flooding was the result of carelss or wrongful actions. (Some sort of civil engineer, hydrodynamics expert, etc. would be required.) As a practical matter, because this sort of case is complex, you will also need an attorney. Therefore, in deciding whether to sue, you have to factor in that you'll have to pay the cost of an expert witness or two, plus an attorney, which costs you generally cannot recover from the other side (i.e. you'll have to bear these costs yourself).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption